The 90% by 2020 Workforce Readiness Task Force was formed to improve youth employability skills in Anchorage through uniting agencies, businesses and schools to create a community action plan.
Task Force Core Strategies:
- Assess employer needs
- Increase communication between business, schools and youth organizations
- Adapt and create curriculum, programs and business practices
- Inventory existing efforts that support youth employability skill development
- Implement employability training
- Develop online toolkit for sharing best practices and resources
Task Force Partners:
ASHRM, Anchorage Chamber of Commerce, Anchorage School District, AYDC, CIRI, Inc., FNBA, GCI
Nine Star, School Business Partnership, United Way of Anchorage
Employer Perception Survey
In October, 2014 a group of business partners implemented a survey to identify the critical skills and personal qualities needed in the workforce and to gather perceptions about recent high school graduates who are new entry level employees. The Anchorage Chamber of Commerce administered the survey and received 213 responses. The task force is sharing this information with other groups and are developing an action plan for how businesses can help.